Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete • Gushing over Magical Girls - Episode 8 discussion

animebot

Anime Discussion Bot Maid
Staff member

Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete, episode 8​

Alternative names: Gushing over Magical Girls

Reminder: Place any spoilers using the spoilers tag.

Streams​

Show information​

All discussions​

This post was created by a bot. Send a private message to Chikorita157 or on the Fediverse, @chikorita157@sakurajima.moe.
The original (forked) source code can be found on GitHub.

Last edited:
While this episode does introduce the founding members and their division with Enormita, I think it also alludes the importance of stars equating to power.

Prior to the fight with Sister Gigant, we see that Lord Enorme calls Kiwi "Starless." This further was pushed during the fight with Loco Musica where she flaunts her power against Kiwi.

Looking back at previous episodes in consideration with this one, we do know the following:
  • Star levels are initially assigned even with their first transformation
    • Utena has 4 stars in Episode 1: 2 on her horns and 2 underneath her eyes
    • Alice has 3 stars on her forehead in a horizontal manner when she transforms in episode 5
  • The more stars you have, the stronger your power
    • Lord Enorme has 4 stars on her forehead in a vertical manner
  • It is possible that the true strength of a person can add more stars to their body
    • Utena's determination to dominate the founders of Enormita in today's episode caused a lot of stars to appear all over her face and eyes
  • Having more or less stars doesn't necessarily mean you're far more powerful than the other person, but it can show a disparity when there's far too many star difference.
    • Utena was nearly crushed by Sister Gigant's boobs with only a 1 star difference
    • Kiwi was able to set an escape path with her grenades on both occasions with Sister Gigant and Loco Musica, yet could not damage nor block either of their attacks. Both of which are a 3-star difference
    • Alice was able to protect Kiwi from Loco Musica's notes that Kiwi missed. They both have the same amount of stars.
It does, however, make me a bit curious of 2 things:
  • I could imagine that Lord Enorme sees only 2 stars underneath Utena's eyes and considers it to be the extent of her power, rather than the 4 if her horns were included. This could be a case of a mistaken power level in the future.
  • Do magical girls follow a power system as well? As far as I'm aware, neither Tres Magia, nor Episode 7 that shows the how Utena came to admire magical girls show any visible marks to their body.