questions related to search feature

idk6969

Usually when I try to search for users from other servers I need to type in their full username and the server address, and sometimes it just shows the error below. Is it possible to fix it?

error:
this error

Solution
I was able to search for a user outside (@Mastodon@mastodon.social), what is the server that you are having issues with. I looked at the Mastdon Github issues page and only found this.

try finding someone with the @username@<mastodon instance domain name> instead of the full url.
I was able to search for a user outside (@Mastodon@mastodon.social), what is the server that you are having issues with. I looked at the Mastdon Github issues page and only found this.

try finding someone with the @username@<mastodon instance domain name> instead of the full url.

Solution
Tried using the method you have shown above, and it worked for most of the usernames! There's just another 1 to 2 that returns that error, but it's not that important, so I don't really care lol
thanks for helping out btw

It may also be temporary outages due to server load on those remote servers that a search would be getting information from, due to the huge numbers of people joining the fediverse lately.
Yes, there is an influx of new users, especially on instances hosted by masto.host. Since this instance is hosted on a separate VPS, we weren't as affected, although there were 400+ failed requests in sidekiq yesterday.