looking for topics by searching on mastodon

emily

Usually when I search for various topics in the search I see a handful, but when I follow someone who boosts posts it seems like they are getting posts related to some topics that I searched for that I'm not getting in search resualts, is there a better way to find people talking about things that I might want to talk about?

Solution
@emily, @chikorita157, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the Mastodon developers or Glitch-SOC developers plan on adding full-text search. IIRC, this is to prevent trolls from finding users by the text on their posts and harassing those users based on what they posted. Some users also don't put hashtags on their posts to stay (relatively) private, so adding full-text search makes that privacy go away.
If you look on the Mastodon Roadmap, you might see this:

MAS-88
Improved account and content search

This strongly implies full text search
Usually when I search for various topics in the search I see a handful, but when I follow someone who boosts posts it seems like they are getting posts related to some topics that I searched for that I'm not getting in search resualts, is there a better way to find people talking about things that I might want to talk about?
Currently, there is no full text search in Mastodon (and I don't have the funds to go and set up elastic search since it's very intensive and at the moment, it's only to search for toots that you favourated, bookmarked, or your own). Full text search is eventually coming though.

The only way to find what you are interested in is following hashtags. You enter a hashtag in the search box, view it and click the follow icon. Any posts with that hashtag will appear on the home timeline.

Thanks. So using hashtags, and following people I see in boosts that are of interests seems like the way to go untill full text search arrives. Can you elaberate on what full text search is?

Thanks. So using hashtags, and following people I see in boosts that are of interests seems like the way to go untill full text search arrives. Can you elaberate on what full text search is?
@emily, @chikorita157, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the Mastodon developers or Glitch-SOC developers plan on adding full-text search. IIRC, this is to prevent trolls from finding users by the text on their posts and harassing those users based on what they posted. Some users also don't put hashtags on their posts to stay (relatively) private, so adding full-text search makes that privacy go away.

If you look on the Mastodon Roadmap, you might see this:

MAS-88
Improved account and content search

This strongly implies full text search

Solution