Sakurajima Updates – May 2024

yoru-mei-1024x576.jpg
Now that we are in the depths of Spring, here are a few updates for Sakurajima.

Sakurajima Social turns 1 year old​

Our sister server, Sakurajima Social, which used to run Calckey, renamed itself Firefish. However, given the poor state of Firefish, with the lead developer abandoning the project and giving it to someone else, we eventually switched to Sharkey, which, like our Mastodon server, runs a soft fork of Misskey.

Today, the server has 287 members and over 68k posts, and it remains relatively active. Perhaps there are fewer posts daily than our main instance, but it’s active. I started a second instance based on Misskey because Misskey, in general, is closer to what the site formerly known as Twitter and has many features such as quote posting, reactions, and the tike with an easier, prettier interface. Also, it provides an alternative to those who might not like Mastodon to use the 2nd most popular software on the Fediverse. Like our main server, we hope to have it prosper for years to come.

AniManga Picture Challenge Revival​

Sadly, the original user who was running this challenge deleted their account sometime this month. Is the challenge dead? (The challenge involves finding screenshots or panels of an anime or manga given a chosen theme for the week.)

Well, not so fast, as I’m working to make it community-driven, so it will keep going. All the posts are done through a WordPress blog so multiple users can post to the same account.

If you want to volunteer, we are taking applications, which you can fill out here. Also, you can suggest themes for the challenge using this form. I need at least 4-6 volunteers to begin the challenge.

With that, if you are able and want to, you are free to help offset some of the costs of providing the services we provide.

The post Sakurajima Updates – May 2024 appeared first on Sakurajima.

Continue reading...