[Question; Resolved] Anime Avatars

gen.knowledge

By chance, does anyone know where I can get or generate an anime avatar? I thought I would "anim-ify" my profile pic, so that's why I'm asking. I know that some users have avatars that are from specific shows/books, but I don't know if that's even legal. I looked into using avatar generators, but they are either too complicated to use, you have to sign up/sign in/pay to use it, or it doesn't generate images very well in the case of AI-powered generators.

By chance, does anyone know where I can get or generate an anime avatar? I thought I would "anim-ify" my profile pic, so that's why I'm asking. I know that some users have avatars that are from specific shows/books, but I don't know if that's even legal. I looked into using avatar generators, but they are either too complicated to use, you have to sign up/sign in/pay to use it, or it doesn't generate images very well in the case of AI-powered generators.
Yeah, I just use screenshots from shows as avatars, I never got a DMCA claim. I guess you can also use a character creation tool like Koikatsu or Custom Order Maid 3D (these are H-games, but they have powerful customization options to create an OC). They are available on Steam or on the seven seas.

Picrew is also mentioned while looking at my Mastodon local feeds;

Yeah, I just use screenshots from shows as avatars, I never got a DMCA claim. I guess you can also use a character creation tool like Koikatsu or Custom Order Maid 3D (these are H-games, but they have powerful customization options to create an OC). They are available on Steam or on the seven seas.

Picrew is also mentioned while looking at my Mastodon local feeds;
I'm not going to try to screenshot like that unless the images are in the public domain (I just realized that the same thing will apply with AI-generated images, sadly). There is too much risk, especially with US/EU/Japanese copyright. I'm going to mark this question as resolved for that reason.

Last edited:
I'm not going to try to screenshot like that unless the images are in the public domain (I just realized that the same thing will apply with AI-generated images, sadly). There is too much risk, especially with US/EU/Japanese copyright. I'm going to mark this question as resolved for that reason.
Usually for forums it's OK, you won't get in trouble unless you're using an artist's work that they explicitly said don't use as an avatar. It's private enough and people tend to use an image of their favorite character, like on Discord.

Usually, owners of franchises generally don't care for something as small as someone using a pfp on a forum site or even on a social media site. Is it copyright infringment? Debatable. Actually, it is an infringement.

Look at it like this,

Is it worth spending money in a billion court cases, against every person using an anime pfp of your show online? Probally not. If you own a smaller lesser known anime like Yokai watch or just a random starting up, a pfp on a forum is basically free promotion, and there's litterally no real piracy of the anime, from using just a still profile pic of a character. Anime industry tends to thrive when their fans are happy, but of course there are limits which is why they tend to go after *piracy sites* rather then not something as simple as a pfp used on a forum or social media.

There's another option besides AI, using a an existing image, or a character creator. Having an artist draw one. I've kind of wanted this for a while now, specially I'd like a cartoon version of myself (I wouldn't put my face anywhere, but I would put something that kinda looks like me, but not as bad).

But I've got like no idea about where one would turn for something like that, and not get ripped off one way or another:(

There's another option besides AI, using a an existing image, or a character creator. Having an artist draw one. I've kind of wanted this for a while now, specially I'd like a cartoon version of myself (I wouldn't put my face anywhere, but I would put something that kinda looks like me, but not as bad).

But I've got like no idea about where one would turn for something like that, and not get ripped off one way or another:(
You could use a character creator like you said. You could draw one yourself like I did