GPU Prices

chikorita157

Administrator
Staff member
I have to admit, GPU prices are getting away out of hand thanks to crypto miners. I always prefer getting the higher end GPUs since they last longer and I like to play on high settings. However, with cryptomining, GPU prices shot up and AMD and Nvidia sees $ in their eyes.

The Nvidia RTX 4000 series Is a huge disappointment, the whole line besides the 4090 is a poor value and overprice. Granted, the 4090 is expensive, but it can basically run every game and last a long time. I'm still using a Geforce 980 Ti, which can still run games, but not at the highest settings at 1080P. This was the high end in 2015 and orginally retailed at $599. To get the same high end GPU, you need to spend $1000 more for the RTX 4090.

Monopolies aren't cool, and Intel is hardly making a dent in the high end while AMD continues to drop the ball, although their APUs are getting better. The Radeon 780M is very close if not a little better than the GTX 1650.

I'm prolonging the lifespan of my GTX 1080 as much as I can given the prices.

I'd like to switch to AMD given Linux driver support is far better than Nvidia from what I've read. Prices in general are still discouraging, and my current setup isn't performing that bad yet.