Data Caps

emily

We all have data caps, should we though?

Traditionally when you see "unlimited" the plan isn't really unlimited. What'l happen is once you use so much data, your speeds will be decreased, and you might even be charged extra. Some people pay $30, $40 $60$ or more for internet service a month, but if you pay the more higher prices, why is there still a cap? Why is there a cap at all?

Alot of these internet service providers like to make a fake scarcities, so they can have an excuse to charge you extra if you "go over" your usage limit.

When you go on Youtube for instance your isp has to transfer the data to you, so in some way they are actually downloading the page before it gets to you. But even then, to me common sense would be to delete the data after you send it to the consumer to free up your bandwidth storage. The consumer is already paying for the internet service, is this greed, lack of how to use tech.

It gets worse, well it's already been this bad however..

In the eu, internet service providers are trying to make it critical that sites like Google pay them to get their data to their consumers. But wait- didn't the consumer already pay you for the service? The ISPs literally just want, paid, paid, paid and paid again. For opening their highways for the internet.

Some u.s cities had been trying to open local internet service, but ISPs are fighting against it of course. Or at the least, they are against even having that.

Internet access should be a utility, not a profiteering or spying system.

Should works like roads. Feds deal with interstate backbones (interstates), states deals with inter county (state highways), county with getting it to the city, the city with getting it to buildings, and I myself am responsible for the fiber that goes into my dwelling and all the equipment.

Services can be bought from any company or done by yourself. Easy and simple.

ISPs are bad for society and should just be removed.

There, radical post of the day :)

I remember back in the day, AT&T didn’t like how people are using unlimited data and using hacks with a jailbreak to make it possible to tether other devices, essentially making the iPhone as a hotspot. Of course they didn’t like that since they want you to switch to a plan that support it officially, which is capped. Even today, they have a cap on hotspot data and one uses it up, they slow the speeds that it becomes unusable.

I hate the idea of data caps. I use a lot of data, even on moble. This is a reason I went for Verizon FIOS instead of Comcast, or most say Comcrap, which loves datacaps as they want people to pay more for internet. Bandwidth is an infinite resource and data caps are a rent-seeking tatic that needs to go away.

Of course, ATT pulled the Unlimited, but not really as they slowed down speeds of grandfathered unlimited plans if a user uses more than 5 GB of data. It’s easy to blow through this with streaming video.

Looks like some of the rules are changing, the fcc recently adopted new rules the ISPs should follow.