January 2024 Updates – New Sakurajima’s Website’s New Domain, JoinSakurajima.org

comicgirls-immersion-1024x576.jpg
Welcome to 2024! That means some changes on our front-facing websites for our Mastodon and Misskey/Sharkey servers.

It’s official, and we moved our front-facing website for our Mastodon and Misskey/Sharkey to a dedicated domain name at joinsakurajima.org. Sure, the website needs a lot of updating, but I think it’s probably a good time to move it to its domain name.

As expected, we aren’t going anywhere. I am stable enough to support the instance for a long time—the idea when I started Sakurajima. The goal is to rebuild our independent Japanese media and culture communities in the early 2010s and late 2000s while making a healthy and friendlier alternative. Yes, that means building back the forums, which I have put some effort into porting the episode discussion bot to our Xenforo forums.

2023 was the building up to this moment. 2024 will be another big year as AI ruins more of the internet, and big commercial platforms (including BlueSky) will become a worse experience. I aim to make a fun and safe social platform for Japanese media/culture fandom and creators. We create a safe and fun fandom community within our Mastodon, Misskey/Sharkey, and internet forums. Also, we provide WordPress hosting (through WordPress multisite) to allow users to start blogging about the media they enjoy or share their creations without ads. The community and I support all of it.

Moving the front-facing site for Sakurajima is only the first step to show we are serious about doing this for the long term. Of course, we plan to have a presence on BlueSky when we can run our server. When we do, we will promote the benefits of our community and updates while shilling Sharkey, of course, and why it’s better than BlueSky.

Feel free to become a Patron or donate using Ko-fi if you can. Donations allow us to offset our operating costs and also put it towards upgrading our servers when needed.

The post January 2024 Updates – New Sakurajima’s Website’s New Domain, JoinSakurajima.org appeared first on Sakurajima.

Continue reading...

>The goal is to rebuild our independent Japanese media and culture communities in the early 2010s and late 2000s while making a healthy and friendlier alternative.
I am so extremely glad I found sakurajima <3

I'm really looking forward to the future of this community!

Last edited: