Are videos working for you?

dorkboycomics

Sorry for more questions here, but just wondering if anyone else is running into video playback issues in Sakurajima.social/ Sharkey?

periodically some videos play fine, but I often run into this situation where I click play, and it sits at this screen - time is 0:00, no duration time or anything.

I run into this across devices - phone, computer, etc

1702152376917.png

Solution
Seems to be this issue, Safari requires Byte-Range support for video playback.

I will cherrypick (implement) the fix once the Sharkey Dev team implements the fix.
Sorry for more questions here, but just wondering if anyone else is running into video playback issues in Sakurajima.social/ Sharkey?

periodically some videos play fine, but I often run into this situation where I click play, and it sits at this screen - time is 0:00, no duration time or anything.

View attachment 25
I pinged the support team at Sharkey to see what might be the issue.

If you have a link to the post that have issue, it can help.

It seems to be an issue with only Webkit based browsers like Safari/Orion as it may not support some formats with video. On Firefox and Chrome based browsers, the videos play fine.

Needs more investigating, an h264 video can't play in Sharkey is odd.

Also discovered this error:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

Last edited:
It seems to be an issue with only Webkit based browsers like Safari/Orion as it may not support some formats with video. On Firefox and Chrome based browsers, the videos play fine.

Needs more investigating, an h264 video can't play in Sharkey is odd.

Also discovered this error:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()
Thanks very much! Sorry for the late reply - busy day today.

There weren’t any video playback issues in Firefish prior to the upgrade, so will be great if it’s something team Sharkey can fix.

The link above didn’t work for me, but here’s a video from that same account that also doesn’t play for me:

Thanks again!

Here’s another note with a video that doesn’t work, and there is no external url in this note (unlike the first one): https://sakurajima.social/notes/9n2kcli03i

Oops, and forgot to mention that the video on the anianimals linked homepage plays for me.

Last edited:
I tried using Gnome Web on RHEL 9 and the video seems to play, so it is only a Safari problem on Mac and iOS.

It should play, since it's an H264/AAC MP4 file, but it seems that Safari doesn't like the proxied file. Same with Orion.

View attachment 25
Same issue, but i tought it was my internet connection

Another factor it could be is if the post is from a remote instance. Like on Mastodon, on some remote instances might not show all post unless you head directly to that instances URL for their posts. If you're using an app, that might mean you'l need to open it in a web browser.

Could the video playback on Sharkey have similar issues with remote instances in some cases as some posts on Mastodon?

Seems to be this issue, Safari requires Byte-Range support for video playback.

I will cherrypick (implement) the fix once the Sharkey Dev team implements the fix.

Solution
Apparently being fixed in upstream, so hopefully when 2024.1.0 gets released soon.

Apparently being fixed in upstream, so hopefully when 2024.1.0 gets released soon.

Oh fantastic!!!

I only seem to catch videos if I have the same person in my follows on sakurajima.moe right now - will be great to be able to view them again on sakurajima.social!
Thanks so much!